Thursday, February 26, 2009

Why am I here?

I am sitting on a patio at Paul's Pasoda (www.paulsposada.com), visiting with Paul and several of his guests. What is unusual about Paul's is that it is in the jungle - about a five minute walk down a path lined by coffee bushes ripe with cherries ( beans ready to be picked) AND the posada has wireless access! One of many many surprises here. The mix of technology and traditional practices is fascinating and very much what I have seen in China.

I was just asked why am I here - for pleasure, for business or for work. And I answered all three! For someone who is a type A+ when it comes to work this adventure is a perfect opportunity to build some balance into my life. I find I am still "working" 6 - 8 hours each day including the teaching and planning of lessons but I am learning to find time to read a good book, visit with the many ( and I do mean many) random people I have met travelling as well as find time to research and think about the writing I want to do.

Now that I am 25% into my time away I find there is a pace to life which is appealing. I am still making lists but am learning to live "manana"; being ok with getting done what is possible each day. Today for example is research; exploring how the human body responds to the consumption of lime ( the women put a lime/water mixture on their tortilla cooking surfaces to prevent the tortillas from sticking), finding out if I need to take malarial meds if I visit Copan and checking out what institutions offer TESL or TEFL instrucion on line.

The opportunity to be in the classroom, even when I barely can make myself understood by the kids, is a thrill. The teachers who have opened their classrooms to us have been most gracious and the kids are having fun with teaching me a few words in Spanish. I am entralled with how excited the kids are to see us ( ok it might just be that we provide a great diversion and some time away from the routine) and it is pleasing to have them seek us out to ask our names and learn a little ab0ut us. We are all so curious about each other.

We have been having a discussion about the poverty we see and live in on a daily basis and how in some ways we are almost anesthetized to it. We've been talking about our reactions and wondering why we do not feel sad or overwhelmed by what we are seeing and experiencing. I am wondering if part of it might be that I have to shut myself off from the impact of it so I can survive and do what I came to do. I also wonder if it has to do with feeling like we are doing something. And it could be part of the process of culture shock I guess. Need to think more about it. If you have thoughts or ideas, please let me know.

Hasta luego

No comments:

Post a Comment