Saturday, February 14, 2009

Open to new learning

One of my goals in this adventure is to understand what happens to independent travellers or volunteers when they are away from their home culture for an extended period of time. Now in the world of international development and international work, three months is not much. But for me it seems like a very long time to be away from the people are care most about. Hence even three months presents its challenges.

One of the books I brought with me is Becoming Human, the 1998 Massey lecture given by Jean Vanier. I knew it was going to be an interesting read but I was amazed when I read this passage

¨Too much security and the refusal to evolve, to embrace change, leads to a kind of death. Too much insecurity, however, too much insecurity can also mean death. To be human is to create sufficient order so that we can move on into insecurity and seeming disorder. In this way we discover the new.¨

For those of you who know me well, this quote seem very relevant as I am one who finds security in plans and structure and I have opened myself up to three months with significantly less structure than I normally have. In the comng entries I will attempt to reflect on how I am learning from this. I also want to begin to think about what the balance of security/insecurity is for me.

Mi idioma estoy poco a poco.

Hasta luego, Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment