Saturday, February 7, 2009

Panajachel Day 3

Pana as it is known is full of the hustle and bustle of a small town. Highly dependant on the tourist trade, the town is smiling now that the viento ( windy ) weather has gone and the sun is warming the buildings and the streets.

I moved into homestay a couple of days ago - what a mix of emotions as I was shown how to use the key to open and lock the door, how the shower worked and told - in Spanish - what time meals would be served. I was nervous, excited when I understood that dinner was at seven ( siete ) and worried when I looked at the shower and was not really sure how it would work!

It´s humbling to realize how important language is and how unskilled I feel when I do not understand what is being said. My first lesson was the alphabet. I learned how to say the names of the letters in Spanish, some words which begin with each letter and a few idioms. While my teacher, Obed, has some English skills, he only speaks to me in Spanish. I am confused lots of the time. I am working hard to jump in and ask questions as best I can with my limited vocabulary. My dictionary is VERY important!

I am truly enjoying the opportunities I am given to learn about doing development work as I participate in conversations with a number of different groups providing humanitarian aid. Lots of questions come up about how to work respectfully and effectively with peoples who have had access to a number of different aid services; with people whose language is not English or Spanish which means that translation must happen twice and where the poverty is significant.

And I have a cell phone. My first. Given how much I travel for work and do not use a cell phone it is a treat to be able to call home every few days. The calls to Canada are very inexpensive and offer my family - and me - comfort in knowing how each other is doing.

,Til next time, Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment