Friday, March 13, 2009

Stretching

Last night our team met after dinner to prepare for the five day dental clinic. The clinic will be offered in the aldea (village) of Chacaya at their medical clinic. This clinic has two examining rooms, one of which is available to us, another small room and an out of doors reception area. Nadine has developed a plan for two operating site and a process to welcome patients to the clinic and funnel them to either the dentist or the dental assistant for their procedures.

Members of the team were asked to sterilize instruments, provide reception services, assist during procedures, clean and sterilize operating sites between procedures and keep the kids entertained while they wait. Other than the dentist and dental assistant, no one on the team has skill, training or experience working a dental clinic. Hence the stretching as we learn new skills and information to support the clinic.

And the concept of stretching is becoming an on the ground metaphor for me as I think about working in international development. We arrive into a particular situation with the skills, knowedge and attitudes we have built in our very development Western experience. And then we begin to understand what needs to happen. Then with our own, or others insights we see how we can help. Many times that means adapting the skills, attitudes and knoweldge we have to suit the needs of the project.

Let me share with you some of the things I have done in the almost six weeks I have been here that I would not have thought I might be doing. Translating from Spanish into English thank you letters from kids to their donors; shopping in local food markets where I have to use Spanish to tell the vendors what I want, cooking for 12, washing my sheets on a concrete scrub board and teaching a group of Mayan speakers how to brush their teeth! It will be interesting to see what the other six weeks brings!

With a smile on my face, I wish you Buen dia!
Colina

No comments:

Post a Comment