Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Group Living

Its been alot of years since I have lived with a large group of people! I had not given the reality of group life much thought beyond wondering about finding time for myself, and I have been pleasantly surprised at the experience.

We are living in luxury by Guatemalan standards, a beautiful estate called Vista Dorado which overlooks the bay around which Santiago is built. We have hot !!! and cold running water and live in two homes on the property. Six people in one and five in the other. Two of our team members have been the cooks, really the chefs as the food has been wonderful. I had thought I would lose weight here but so far that is not the case. ( Just so you all don´t think all is sweetness and light we do all our own laundry by hand and hang it to dry. And there is no drinking the water so I have to stay conscious even in the middle of the night not to inadvertantly put some nasty bugs into my system).

I share room and bathroom with two other women both in their twenties. We have come to an easy partnership in terms of space and daily routine. It helps I think that every one is here by choice and is focused on having a good experience and in making a difference for the kids and community in Chacaya.

I am the only member of the team who does not belong to the church which sponsored this mission. I was also a bit concerned that my lack of adherence to the faith of the group might be a deterent to feeling part of the group but that has certainly not been the case. The other members are understanding that I do not subscribe to their faith and I work hard to ensure I am respectful of their practices.

Religion aside we all have a strong value in social justice which is the tie that binds us together. We are seeing the fruits of our labours as kids excitedly brush their teeth, as the stoves the mission has sponsored are constructed and as the the way of offering and providing help evolved based on the relationships the mission team is building with other non profits providing service in the community.

More team members arrive in the coming days and with that the group dynamics will change but the mission is near and end and we have lot of work to do in this last 10 days. I expect at the group forms and reforms we will all be so busy getting the jobs done that the time will be gone before we know it.

Adios para hoy

Colina ( my Spanish name as Colleen is much too difficult to pronounce)

No comments:

Post a Comment